Please I need compiled pstsdk.dll

Dec 22, 2011 at 7:19 PM

Please i need pstsdk.dlll compiled, it does not work the code as is, and i cant compile them.

Please i will apreciate if someone could sent it to me.

Thanks in advance.

Developer
Dec 22, 2011 at 7:21 PM

What compilation error are you receiving?  Also, what version of Visual Studio are you opening the project in?

Thanks,

Christopher

Coordinator
Dec 22, 2011 at 7:27 PM

As far as we know the code in in a functioning state, and compilable. In theory, if you follow the compilation instructions provided, everything should build fine. As Chris said, a little more information will help troubleshoot the issue.

Regarding a binary release, once we get to an official v1.0 of the library (which we have admittedly been slacking on), we will make a binary download available. It's probably a good time to revisit the outstanding issues that are holding up a v1.0 release.

Thanks,

Troy

Dec 22, 2011 at 7:40 PM

Thanks a lot for your fast answer... i did try compiling in another pc with visual studio 2010 with c++ and c# but says pst.h file missing and i did fix the paths because their are relative but did throw utils propertyhelper file error.

now i dont have that pc and i only have my pc with visual studio 2010 without c++, only c#, that's the reason.

please i know that there is compilation instructions, but i cant compile it now anyway.

can you sent to me the compiled dll or a ready-to-compile zip for a friend that can compile to me but he had no time for read compilation instructions.

Thanks again.

Developer
Dec 23, 2011 at 12:12 AM

Unfortunately, I don't have a pre-compiled dll ready and I don't have the spare time to get one setup for you.  I would recommend compiling it yourself, following the instructions.  It's fairly easy, once you've downloaded the dependencies.

The instructions are here: http://pstsdknet.codeplex.com/SourceControl/changeset/view/d451b452c2d4#trunk%2fpstsdk.mcpp%2fcompilation.notes.txt

Thanks,

Christopher

Dec 23, 2011 at 12:20 AM

Late, I can not wait that long to read some pst files, and read instructions to compile a c++ that requires another dependency just for use a code in the language that i searched on google (C#). Just doesn't make any sense.
I'm using Independentsoft.Pst, now I understand why this project is in the state where it is.

Thanks anyway.

Developer
Dec 24, 2011 at 7:40 AM
braian87b wrote:

Late, I can not wait that long to read some pst files, and read instructions to compile a c++ that requires another dependency just for use a code in the language that i searched on google (C#). Just doesn't make any sense.
I'm using Independentsoft.Pst, now I understand why this project is in the state where it is.

Thanks anyway.

Google sent you to this page because we do, in fact, have C# code as part of the project.  If you had taken the time to read the project description on the front page, it walks you through the history and road map of the project. It explains that at this stage, it is not yet a port written solely in C#.  Rather, it is a C++/CLI wrapper over the Microsoft-sponsored pstsdk project.  This is what currently allows it for use in any .NET language, hence the title of the project describing it as a ".NET port".  The main API is exposed through a C# library, that will eventually house the entire code base.  This is the reason why, as it currently stands, you need to compile C++/CLI code.

Yes, the added dependencies required to compile are not ideal, and I'll admit that they do complicate the process especially if you're unfamiliar with C++ in general.  We are working towards a release that won't require them at all.  However, the instructions are fairly clear about what needs to be done, it can be read in just a few minutes, and, depending on your internet connection, it can get you to a compiled dll in ~10-15 minutes.

Now, you say you didn't have time to read instructions, therefore, it is easy to see why you didn't read anything else we've written about it.  Since you are coming here with next to no knowledge about it, I can't see how you can make any accurate assumptions about the state of the project.  In fact, it seems that because you really don't understand what this project is, you are foolishly claiming the project is at fault, instead of your own lack of understanding.  Perhaps if you understood the above, you either could have compiled it, or realized that this project was not for you and moved on.

Remember that this is an open-source project.  We are volunteers and can really only work on the code in our spare time.  I am very willing to help someone with any issue or answer any question about this project, but I'm not going to do the work for you and I really don't want to hold your hand through it if you're not going to even make the appearance that you're putting forth even a tiny amount of effort.

Clearly, this is not the project for you since it requires more reading and work than you're willing or able to do.  I'm glad that you've found an alternate solution from Independentsoft; it's a solid, albeit somewhat costly, library.

Thanks,
Christopher

Dec 24, 2011 at 8:10 AM
Edited Dec 24, 2011 at 8:11 AM

Your words are very clever Christopher. I hope you didn't misinterpreted my words. But i see exactly what you had described, a really good proyect but not mature yet. Just that.

I think that the most important thing is this type of project (sdk) is to make them easy for the first use. but maybe i am wrong.

i didnt have 10-15 minutes just for compilation (it takes longer find instructions and read some other documentation, some other search link, the examples, the discussions, etc), and just considering that it toke me less than 10 minutes to finish the needed script code to process a bunch of 30 pst files about 80gb total for ripping off them email adresses and collect some statistics.

I have some another ideas (related to pst files) for the future, i think i will use pstsdknet at that time. i trust that be more solid and mature than now.

Thanks for your dedication of spare time and for being volunteers all this time.

PD: i think that is a good idea to have the compilation instruction text or link in this home page: http://pstsdknet.codeplex.com/